Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Waiting for April

Title: Waiting for April
Author: Jamie Loren
Genre: NA Sci-fi
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 10/10

I was given a copy of this novel by the publisher via netgalley. This in no way influences my review and opinion.

"April Fletcher has died nineteen times... but she doesn't know it.
As far as April is concerned, she's just a normal seventeen-year-old, looking forward to spending spring break with her friends and going to college in the fall. April doesn't know she has never lived past her eighteenth birthday, nor does she realize that Scott Parker, her best friend, is actually her childhood sweetheart and fiancé from her very first life.
For nineteen-year-old Scott Parker, spending quality time with his soul mate has proved difficult ever since her tragic death in 1729. Since then he has lost her an additional eighteen times—each of her deaths more devastating than the last, and each of her births wiping the slate of her memory clean. Unable to save her but unwilling to give up, Scott has to hide the fact he's immortal—and will be until April confesses her love again.
But this time, things have changed. April has denied her feelings for him, is dating someone else, and with her eighteenth birthday fast approaching, their friendship is falling to pieces. Fearing their souls are irrevocably drifting apart, Scott must race against the clock to win her heart and save her life.
Or risk losing her forever."
***

This wasn't even on my plan to be read anytime soon, but I finished another book and was bored, so decided to give it a head-start before going to sleep. It's laughable, really, because sleep was the last thing I did once I got started with Waiting for April.
The story starts out slightly creepy-like, with Scott staring out at April's window the entire night, but once we get to know him, and understand his pain, it becomes clear that he isn't watching her so that he can control her; he just wants her to be safe, whether it's with him or not.

Scott and April's love story(ies?) was so beautifully rendered by Loren. It was achingly tender and so, so sad. I lost count of how many times I'd sobbed before I finished the book. Fate might be on their side, always bringing her back to him, but karma sure as hell hates them.

And the best part was the bomb dropped on us towards the end. The first thing I did when I finished Waiting for April, was rush to find out if there was a sequel, because it could not end like that - no way, no how. So, big sigh of relief at finding out it'll be a trilogy. I'm really looking forward to finding out more about what makes these people the way they are - why do some come back, and what happens when the other doesn't? Is that what happened to the other guy (you'll know who I mean once you've read it, but I won't name names because spoilers!)

Overall, a touching, beautifully written debut by Jamie Loren that any romance fans will gobble down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)