Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Infinite Sea

Title: The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave #2)
Author: Rick Yancey
Genre: Dystopia
Rating: 4/5
Cover: 7/10

Okay. Okay. It's taken me nearly a week to write this review, because I was sorting through in my mind what I could say without sounding like a whiny teenager. Fact is, after the awesome that was The 5th Wave, I was expecting to be blown away by more awesome in The Infinite Sea, but... alas, I was disappointed.
Talking it through with Kim, I realised that my main point of contention was that it felt like the book started, and then ended basically in exactly the same place it had started.
I missed Cassie, and would have liked to be in her head more - and, as Kim agrees, there was a distinct lack of Evan, which was very sad.

I did love Ringer, though. At first, I dismissed her, thinking we'd get a couple of chapters in her POV and then go back to mainly Cassie, but as it became more and more obvious that that wouldn't happen, I started paying more attention to her, and actually really liked her. She's not as easy to like as Cassie; she's more prickly and cold, but I loved her single-minded determination to get stuff done. Plus, the whole thing with Razor. I'm still in firm denial over that entire scene.

Sadly, due to the events of the novel, I felt like Cassie, Ben and Sam (and Evan) showed little to no character development... again, mostly because we spent the majority of the book with Ringer, only to have them end up in pretty much the same place they'd been when the book started. Slightly annoying, if I'm honest. I did very much enjoying Cassie and Evan bickering like an old married couple, though.
All in all, a solid 4/5; and I hope #3 shows more character development in more than just one character (and even then, quite dubiously so)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)