Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sisters' Fate

Title: Sisters' Fate (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #3)
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Genre: YA
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 10/10

I finally lost my patience for waiting until January for it to come out on kindle, and got it in hardback. And now it has nowhere to go, since my room is already overflowing with books. Ah, well. 'Twas worth it.
I'm not ashamed to say I read this instead of reading my set text for this week. Weirdly, I found witches more interesting than the morbid what-ifs of Hitler winning the war. Hmm.
Hitler notwithstanding though, Sisters' Fate was such a roller-coaster of emotions, I'm not even sure where to start.
Cate was, as usual, so easy to relate to. She's only trying to do what's right - even, and maybe especially, when it's not the easy thing to do - but there isn't always a black and white with those kind of decisions; should she save innocent girls and risk exposing the Sisterhood? Or save the Sisterhood and let 60 innocent girls die? She had no easy choices this book, but I found her strength and determination to do what she believed to be the right thing very inspiring. She never backed down from a decision. And seeing her with Finn, while heartbreaking, was also quite sweet, sort of like in the first book, when they were still falling. Bittersweet, really.
Finn was amazing. Spotswood did a fabulous job of keeping him in character even without his memories. That boy is way too smart for his own good. And while I would have liked some kind of magical cure to his erased memories, or for the book to have ended slightly further on in the future, the promise made at the end was enough to leave me with a happy smile on my face; they'll be fine... eventually.
Tess was weird, though. I still can't quite figure how Inez was able to control her if she's supposed to be so strong not even her own sisters were able to do magic on her. It didn't add up, and I got really confused; I get that something like that had to happen, but still. It was weird.
Maura... what to say? Deep down, she had a good heart. Really, really deep down. As wrong as it was, as deluded as she was, she really believed that she had helped Cate by erasing Finn's memories of her, and I can't really fault her for doing what she thought was best for her sister, even if it was cruel. Love is weird sometimes, and at least they got to make up at the end. But, oh what an end. I cried like a baby.

1 comment:

  1. I have so many piles of books just sitting by myself its ridiculous.. I keep telling myself "Its okay because I only keep books I know i'm gonna re read" and then all the books i've been reading have been really good *grr*

    I've never really read anything to do with witches, but this sounds really interesting! great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)