Monday, September 15, 2014

Trial by Fire

Title: Trial by Fire (Worldwalker #1)
Author: Josephine Angelini
Genre: YA fantasy
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 10/10 (UK version - it has little glittery stuff in her hair too, it's so pretty)

Quick tip: do not read this like I did, on the tail of Heir of Fire. Not only do they both have 'Fire' in the title, they also both have Rowans. I have since found that my new favourite name is Rowan, and cannot contain my Rowan feels - the fact that they're entirely different characters makes no odds to my love and devotion, and I have started up the Unofficial Rowan 'Fire' Fanclub so I can have an excuse to sit and daydream about them. But I digress.

The premise of this book was fascinating, and the book itself didn't disappoint. Lily was a very likeable character, and I loved her trying to explain to everyone what different things meant.
I cannot wait to see Rowan's reaction to stuff like cars and planes, it will be glorious.

But my favourite part (Rowan aside) was the fact that I'm still not entirely sure if Lillian is evil or not. She clearly believes that she's doing what is best, but then why pull Lily over? I hope to find out in #2, because I was so confused. And not in a bad way, mind you. Just... weird.

I loved seeing Lily grow and flourish from this sickly, weak girl in her own world, into this glorious, powerful witch in the other universe. As a rule, I tend to hate parallel universes, because they have the nasty habit of breaking up my OTPs (see: Rose and the Doctor and Lyra and Will). But, in this case, it's actually pretty cool, especially since there doesn't seem to be any averse effect whatsoever in changing universes, which gives me the hope that this particular pairing won't be separated at the end.

All in all, a good book, with fun characters, and amazing world construction :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)