Friday, September 26, 2014

Allegiant

Title: Allegiant (Divergent #3)
Author: Veronica Ross
Genre: Dystopia
Rating: 4.5/5
Cover: 10/10

Contrary to popular reaction, I quite liked the ending.
It's such a massive spoiler, that I won't discuss it directly here (there will be some hints to it though, so don't read on if you don't wanna know), but can I just say that I found it very interesting that I asked a friend, when the negative reactions started coming in, if Four died. She replied "no, thank god. I don't think I could have dealt with that". So I just assumed everyone was mad because they broke up.
I really want to go back to her now and ask her why she couldn't have dealt with Four dying, but was only 'disappointed' with what actually happened. I don't know, it sounds wrong. It feels ALL wrong that if the love interest dies, we all cry, but the second the author choses to kill off someone else, then suddenly it's a crap book.
Naw, guys. Stop.
You're embarrassing yourselves.
Personally, I'd like to congratulate Ms Roth. The thing about her books have always been how emotionally true they have been. In a dystopian world, Tris shone through to me as one of the few YA MCs who actually reacted to the crap that happened in her life in a plausible way. There's only so many super-enduring girls I can read about before I start feeling like the most useless piece of shit for not being able to pick myself up so fast. But not Tris. She mourned, she grieved, she got mad, she went a little nuts, and she loved so, so fiercely.
So, in a strange way, this ending was very satisfying.
Of course, it won't make watching it in the movie any easier, but a good, dignified ending that did right by the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)