Tuesday, August 07, 2012

52 Reasons to Hate my Father

Title: 52 Reasons to Hate my Father
Author: Jessica Brody
Genre: YA
Rating: 4.5/5
Cover: 10/10

This is what I imagine when I hear the term 'contemporary fairytale'. Because no fairytale is complete without a beautiful message in it, mixed in there with the drama, and seemingly-impossible love with the prince charming. Granted, Luke is no Prince, and for at least half the book, he is about as far from charming as a guy can get, and still I wished we'd seen more of Lex and Luke together, but the rest of the book totally made up for the lack of togetherness on their part.
Most YA books are in first person, and most of the time, we enjoy the narrator's voice (it's hard to get through the book otherwise...). But not Lexi. Oh, no. Lex's voice is the I-met-this-girl-last-weekend kind of voice. 
If you made a habit of meeting filthy rich heiresses during your weekends, I mean. But other than that, you can actually picture her throughout the book. 
The obnoxious, snotty girl from school? Mix that up with a healthy dose of living in a bubble, being forced down from the obnoxious and snotty horse to work as a maid and clean up horse poo, a sprinkle of romance, lots of humour and you get 52 Reasons to Hate My Father.
And for the first time in a long time, I wasn't rooting for the bad guy. Which turns out to be good in the end, of course, but it's a nice change of scenery, too. So yay to that ;)

Definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a light read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)