Thursday, April 05, 2012

Book Review: Fifty Shades of Grey

Title: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1)
Author: E. L. James
Genre: Adult
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 8/10

Yes, I decided it was about time I joined in the melee. Eveyone is talking about Fifty Shades, and while I first read it late last year, I'm only now reviewing the book here...

I... loved, loved, loved this book.
And to those of you who have already read it, that statement might raise quite a few eyebrows. Let me explain: Fifty Shades of Grey will invariably create heated discussions about propriety and whatnot, but the truth of the matter is that it wasn't the BDSM which captured me, but rather the character development.
Fifty Shades of Grey tells the story of Anastasia Steele, a recently graduated girl who, by a whim of destiny, ends up interviweing the most influential CEO of the century - all because her best friend who was supposed to do the interview, had the flu. To save her friend, Ana goes to interview Christian Grey, the 27 year old multi-millionaire owner of the Grey Enterprises Holding Inc.
First impressions are what stay, or so they say, and Ana's first impression of Christian was that of an arrogant, dominative and control-freak man. But he intrigues her when he expresses a deep desire to help the poor, and feed the whole world, single-handedly, if necessary. Not to mention his hot bod.
After an extremely awkward interview, Ana leaves Christian, happy that she will never again have to lay eyes on him. But apparently life has other plans, and Ana will have to decide if getting to know this mysterious man is really worth all the sacrifices she'll have to make so their... relationship can work.

Okay, now speaking truthfully. Yes, there were some scenes that made me uncomfortable, and I can safely say that lifestyle is not for me. However, like I said before, the character development is something to watch. Personally, I found it fascinating to see both Ana and Christian change so much about their own lives, and step completely out of their comfort zones to try something new. So yes, if you don't get squeamish with hot  - and I do mean... hot - scenes, you should read Fifty. The book has a little of a slow start, so as you read on, you can have a little bit of an idea more or less how hot things get, so you can safely decide if you want to continue or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)