Monday, March 12, 2012

Book Review: The Night Circus

Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Genre: YA
Rating: 3.5/5
Cover: 9/10

A while back, before The Night Circus was even published, I read an article saying how it was being sold to readers as 'the new Harry Potter' because of its' magic. Now, I know everyone and their sister wants some way to tie in their book with Potter, but the description of the book was enough to intrigue me, and so, after some time, I finally caved in and bought it.

I can't help but feel I was lied to.
The book takes ages to get anywhere interesting, and I felt it dragging horridly. On top of that, the way the story was presented often left me confused and trying to figure out where, exactly, I was in time, as it starts in one place, in a certain year, jumps many years ahead to another place, and then comes back to the first year, but in another continent... I found I had to keep going back to check where and when the previous chapter had taken place, which disrupted the reading.
Once the plotline picked up, however, it was easier to forgive the confusion, and easier to get lost in Marco and Celia's world of intrigue, questions, magic, lies and betrayals. It's because of the second half that this book got 3.5, instead of 2 stars as I would probably have otherwise given it.
An interesting read, if you can get beyond the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Good review Mandy. It is tough to bet let down somewhat by a book when the expectations were so high.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)