Sunday, July 03, 2011

Book Review: Divergent

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth

Rating: 10/10

Genre: Dystopian

Cover: 9/10
(It might be because I'm still in awe with this book and unable to think properly, but the cover doesn't relate to the story at all, though it is absolutely, eye-catchingly beautiful)

Divergent had caught my attention with its striking cover quite a while ago, but I'd just finished Delirium and Matched, one straight after the other, and frankly, was done with dystopian for some time, especially the ones with pretty covers and love being prohibitive.
But two friends of mine, when I asked them for book recommendations, said Divergent without even pausing to blink, and I trust their tastes, so I bought Divergent on my Kindle, where it sat for a few weeks while I settled back into normality and my usual reading pace.

And now I wonder why I didn't read it beforehand, other series I was bang in the middle of, be damned.
Divergent... wow. There aren't words to explain this book.
It reawakened the real bookworm within me. It made me stay awake till 4am, unable to let go of the book even when my eyes declared mutiny and decided they'd had enough of staying open. I. Could. Not. Stop. Reading.
Not even to eat, for crying out loud!

Dystopian with a mesh so pure and clear of reality, its easy to forget it's dystopian at all. And yet, that aspect is the bang in the center of the plot.
In the book, we meet Beatrice. She's your common plain girl who goes through life with just one goal: be invisible.
But unlike most stories, she isn't like that because she wants to, or even because she doesn't believe herself pretty. No. She is like that because that is what her faction demands of her.
In Beatrice's world, there are five factions: Dauntless, Erudite, Candor, Amicity and Abnegation, and hers is the lattest.
But Beatrice doesn't want that life, and when her aptitude test, taken at 16, shows that she is an anomaly, she must choose which path to take: Dauntless, the fearless; or Abnegation, the selfless...

... or she could choose neither and follow what she truly is - something seen as dangerous to her society: Divergent.

1 comment:

  1. Love the review Mandy. I totally agree that it was hard to put down. There's something fun, spooky and destructive about Dystopias. I really like them.
    I'm glad you trust our taste in books.

    (ps. I think the cover is supposed to be the Dauntless symbol: fire in a circle.)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)